Did you know today August 3rd is National Watermelon Day.?
It is! And there are facts you might know and some you don’t…so here we go!
1. Watermelon are BOTH a vegetable & a fruit
They contain seeds, grow from a flower plant that has been pollinated.
2. You can fry or stew the peel of a watermelon…it is done it China frequently
Some pickle them and the seeds can be roasted like pumpkin seeds
3. Why are they called Watermelon? Well, they are 92% water!
4. Even though we know of four varieties: seedless, seeded, (mini or personal) there is also red, orange/yellow. Reality is there are 1200 different varieties!!
5. Different to popular believe, seedless watermelon are not made by men….they just “come” like that…genetics